What questions should I ask?
Some commonly asked questions during an initial consultation with an orthodontist may include:
1. What kinds of treatment options do I have to get straighter teeth and healthier smile?
Are any of the alternatives to traditional metal braces right for me? Your consultation is the best time to ask the doctor which treatment options are available to you that will ensure the best outcome for your individual needs. Dr. Walker will discuss with you your treatment goals and help you learn about the options available to achieve them. (At Walker Orthodontics, many patients opt for alternative treatments such as Invisalign clear aligners.)
2. What kind of preparation is needed to get braces? How many visits will the treatment take?
It’s always a good idea to ask questions like these to ensure that you’re comfortable with undergoing orthodontic treatment and that it fits conveniently into your schedule and budget.
3. Should I expect any pain while I have braces?
A lot of people who could readily benefit from orthodontic treatment shy away from the idea because they fear it might be a painful process. This is a common concern for many patients, and it’s one that you should talk about with your orthodontics provider. The Walker Orthodontics team will explain exactly what to expect and how to treat any discomfort their patients may experience.
4. What determines how long I have to wear braces?
During your consultation, Dr. Walker will evaluate your teeth and jaw alignment to determine the best course of treatment, and he will present a schedule approximating the length of treatment. (Orthodontics can be a lengthy process, so don’t be disappointed if you don’t notice a huge change in a short amount of time. You’ll achieve your dream smile soon!)
5. How will braces affect my lifestyle, my diet, and my activity level?
It’s impossible to avoid having to make changes in your lifestyle, specifically your dietary habits, once you begin orthodontic treatment. You may find that you need to make just a few changes to your daily routine to have a faster and more successful treatment outcome. During your consultation, Dr. Walker will discuss with you any recommended diet or lifestyle changes so that you’ll be prepared and ready by the time your orthodontic treatment begins.
Other important questions you may want to ask.
• How long will a typical adjustment appointment last? • What are the typical costs associated with orthodontic treatment, and what should you expect to pay? • What orthodontic treatment costs does your insurance plan cover? • Who arranges for insurance company pre-authorizations, if necessary? • Who files the associated insurance forms for treatment? • What flexibility is there to pay any outstanding charges not covered by insurance?
Your initial orthodontic consultation is just the first step toward the healthiest smile you can achieve. Be sure to bring a list of your questions for Dr. Walker and the team at Walker Orthodontics near Groton, MA. To schedule an initial consultation with Walker Orthodontics, call: (978) 345-7988.
The information provided in this article is not meant to be medical advice and is for educational purposes only. If you would like to learn more about this and other orthodontic-related topics, feel free to contact Walker Orthodontics, with convenient orthodontic offices in Harvard & Lunenburg, by calling 978.345.7988 or clicking here to request your complimentary, no-obligation Walker Orthodontics Smile Assessment.