Proper Oral Hygiene
Habits That Will Make You Smile
It’s more important than ever to brush and floss regularly when you have braces, so your teeth and gums will be healthy during your treatment and when your braces come off. Patients who don’t keep their teeth clean may require more frequent visits to the dentist for professional cleaning. Adults with a history of gum disease could also benefit from seeing a periodontist during orthodontic treatment.
Helpful Hygiene Tips
• We recommend you use a soft-bristled toothbrush. Electric and sonic toothbrushes are also a great choice.
• Brush your teeth after meals and snacks.
• If you have eaten while away from home, use an interdental brush to dislodge food caught around your braces.
• Rinsing with water is another way to dislodge food from your braces.
• Floss at least once a day.
• We recommend that you have a check-up with your dentist every 6 months during orthodontic treatment.